Wednesday 1 August 2012

Honours Project: Musashino Library

Musashino is an Art University library in Tokyo designed by Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto. The exterior is a simple design made entirely out of timber shelves covered by planes of glass. These timber shelves are up to 9meters high and all the shelves will hold library books.

Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fujimoto Architects  
"When I thought of the elements which compose an ultimate library, they became books, bookshelves, light and the place." - Sou Fujimoto.
Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fujimoto Architects
I love the clean cut simplicity of the interior, although I can imagine that when all the bookshelves are filled that it would be quite difficult to find a specific category or book. 
Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fujimoto Architects 
I am very unsure about these desk dividers as I don't like the overall design and I think that something else could of been used that would go better with/match the interior of the library.
Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fujimoto Architects 
I think this is a brilliant how Sou Fujimoto has built in the walkway into the bookshelves, for me it makes the whole design flow together flawlessly. 
Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fujimoto Architects
The bright lighting inside mixed with the enormous windows really brings the library to life at night, I think it looks absolutely amazing and if I were to design a library I'd definitely like to incorporate large windows that really make the most of the surrounding landscape.

After researching into 2 libraries so far I have realised that I would definitely like to research fully into various others. I therefore need to try to find a building within Preston or my home town Wigan where I can design my inspiring reading room/library for students and the general public to study or read in a unique, relaxing environment.




No comments:

Post a Comment